Amps

Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Intermittent HV Short

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Intermittent HV Short
From: "Jim Homer" <jimhomer@email.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:36:54 -0800
I agree whole-heartedly with Rich on this issue.  At my office, we receive
significant shipments of automation equipment, shipped by professional firms
in appropriate packaging.  Since last fall, our damage rate has exceeded
38%.  UPS seems to be the worst.  And, when you call UPS on a claim, the gal
comes out and repeatedly tells us that the item wasn't packaged properly and
to read the service agreement.  Now this is on items that were "insured".

The last visit, I challenged her with "You mean in order to get UPS to be
responsible for damage to the items they transport, the sender must assure
that no matter how they abuse or mishandle the item, it will suffer no
damage, even when insured?"  I was again told to read the agreement, and she
left.

Airborne Express lost not one, but two SAN expansion chasses shipped from
New York to us in California on two different occasions since the first of
the year.  These boxes were insured for $70,000 each.  When questioned by
the sender, they tried to deny ever receiving the items despite the tracking
info clearly displayed on their web site.  When documentation for the
pick-ups and payment were provided, then they tried to tell the sender they
were delivered, which of course they were not. According to their web site,
the items laid in the San Jose depot for 3 weeks. The tracking info
subsequently "disappeared" from their web site one day, and that battle
still rages on.  The sender is out $140K plus shipping, and we have no
equipment.  By the way, Airborne just got bought by DHL.

As for shipping Ham Gear, I am intrigued by the terminal-to-terminal bus
option.  I'm going to try it!

Jim Homer W6JNG