Amps

[AMPS] AL-80B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80B
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (kl7ra)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:21:27 -0800
Hi Joe

Joe writes:
"Anyway, I am not looking for any comments back from the normal
few."

I'm allowed to comment as a non-normal few.

I also work with commercial amps and most have HV on/off switches.
I was thinking if I have ever seen a stby/op switch and I think an
old
TWT s-band amp did. It was a thru-put device and the only switch
on the panel was op/stby which dumped the HV as you mentioned.

Ham radio amps use the op/stby switch to break the keying path if
they have one at all.

I believe the comments you received said: " with the plug pulled,
cover off, interlocks working (HV shunted to ground), the op/stby
switch would be of little value to also remove HV.

Ham amps are often maintained by non-professionals and to allow
service
of the unit after one switch is thrown would be foolish.

I hope you stay tuned to this reflector as it can have good
technical discussions
that often include equipment designers. Also you have contributed.
I own/operate
a mult-multi contest station and never thought some of the ops
might think the
op/stby switch would kill B+. Thanks.

Rich KL7RA