Amps

Re: [Amps] What to buy?

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to buy?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:35:45 -0500
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:59 AM

If toroids run too hot there is something too wrong with the design. Ive
been using a stack of T225-2B's for decades in adding 160M to several amps
in the old 2000W PEP INPUT and 1200W output range.

The #8 in the NCL-2000 doesnt deform the plastic even on 10M in contests. I
used to run it full bore for over 20 years, even on CW and the coil still
looks good. These days its been ressurected as part of the vintage SSB
station.

If a T-225B is too small there are plenty of bigger ones available. Ive
stacked T-400's and 520's when I was building serious amps for folks.

Carl