Amps

Re: [Amps] amp supply lk500 za

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Rob Atkinson'" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp supply lk500 za
From: "Sam Carpenter" <Sam@OwensCommunication.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:46:11 -0500
I had one of these early in production. I ran it very very hard on 20 and
75m. As I remember, it had 4 fans with the lower tier below chassis floor to
cool pins and socket underneath. I always ran fans at high speed during high
duty cycle and never had a problem. For rag chewing and typical SSB contacts
around 1200 watts or so, it stayed plenty cool on low speed and made almost
no noise.

The PAC 5 is pretty cool to have (massive xformer, external). You only net
around 3150 V B+ on the 3-500Z which is not so much, BUT that same PS plugs
into the LK800 and makes it go wild. I think the stock supply was less than
2300V on the LK800.

There were a lot of folks that bought LK550 and Denny would let them "Trade
up" just the RF Deck for the LK800 and he was not shipping an amp that would
do to much, basically an active tuner.