Amps

[AMPS] good news, Ham Radio Magazine... now on CD Rom

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] good news, Ham Radio Magazine... now on CD Rom
From: bravo@iol.ie (John Tait)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 21:48:45 +0100
Hi Ian..

----- Original Message ----- > >
> AIUI, CQ Publications had been developing this compilation CD through
> its 'Comms Quarterly' magazine, which was supposed to be a successor to
> 'HR'. The project was at the review stage when the mag folded, and was
> bought by ARRL and merged into 'QEX'.

 Thanks for the interesting info Ian..

> It's very good that the project has been revived and brought to market.
>
> John, please can you give us a bit more information on the method of
> presentation (PDF?) and also the indexing and searching capabilities?

 I'm no expert on this stuff Ian, but I find it quite easy to navigate
through the articles..
  It has a .PDF "feel" to it, but it's not Adobe..
The big drawback, is that there are about a dozen CDs, so when you do a text
search, you're
changing CDs like crazy to check out the individual articles.

> Presumably they are scanned graphics images of the pages,

   .TIFs...

so it wouldn't
> be possible to search for individual words or phrases within the text.

  Yes... you can search on words in the TITLE.... or the Author's last name,
first name or callsign.
 And by year and month.

> However, 'HR' always had good annual and cumulative indexes, classified
> by subject. If they have made the index entries into fully searchable
> text with hyperlinks, it should be quite easy to find any article. Can
> you confirm/correct these speculations please, John?

            The neccessity to change CDs a lot can be a bit annoying when
you're trying to
track something down...But ... It's a small price to pay for such a treasure
trove..

       73
       de
       John     EI7BA  http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/