Amps

Re: [Amps] insulation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] insulation
From: "Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:41:14 -0800
For insulation in amplifiers, I suggest Teflon. It's soft -- not
strong -- but is easy to cut, drill, and tap.  It has fairly good
properties as an insulator, especially looking good at VHF
and higher.  It's somewhat out of vogue now, and certainly
wouldn't be a commercial choice, but all of the Teflon that
would be required for an amplifier project will usually not
cost very much compared to the time it would take you to
find an acceptable alternative.  Teflon is slightly abrasive,
but usually drill bits and taps will not be damaged too
much by an amplifier project or two.  Overcome the
problems with the physical properties of Teflon by using
fairly massive pieces.

Oh, I admit that Teflon is not going to be the lowest cost
material, nor is it going to have the very best properties,
but it is widely available, and it is a fairly safe choice.

Honestly, though, I'm better at antennas than at amplifiers.

If you're looking for a dipole end insulator, 15 feet or so of
one of the synthetic rope types will usually satisfy, even when
soaked in rain water, if the tie-down point is non-flammable
and preferably grounded.  This means that it is smart to
provide a ground wire from the tie point to the nearest
possible ground if the tie point is, for instance, a screw eye
into a wooden fence.  I've used polypropylene rope for
center insulators on Field Day with no signs of trouble,
but that was when running barefoot (and was not tested
when wet).

Another few possible sources of end insulators:

I was never in a position to see how this one survived over
the years, but back in the 1970's decade when I worked
for W6HX putting up ham radio towers and antennas,
several of the installations included owner-supplied
end insulators that were apparently fashioned after the
recommendations of members of the Southern Calif. DX
Club.  They took long pieces of clear Plexiglas rod and
drilled a hole in each end to pass wire through.  Usually the
rod was 3/4" or 1" thick.  Clearly this is not the best
choice of material because it is ever so slightly conductive
and somewhat vulnerable to U.V. damage.  All the
same, it's so much lighter and impact resistant compared
to porcelain that it made sense.  All kinds of Plexiglas
seems to be available on the internet.  The antennas that
I put up had Plexiglas insulators around 18" to 2' long.

I knew someone who bought fiberglass quad spreaders
that were too long -- used for 10/15 meter directors
that were inserted in between the triband elements --
and used the extra lengths of fiberglass as end insulators.
They didn't last forever -- the wires cut slots into the
fiberglass and needed to be cut short and re-drilled
every year or so.

PVC pipe can make a nice end insulator.  If there is any
question about it's properties as an insulator, then
make it very long.

Any material such as PVC pipe can be tested for its
performance as an insulator by putting a foot long piece
into a microwave oven and trying to heat it up.  If it
stays cold then it's going to do a good job.  If it
proves to be a poor insulator, then use a 2 foot length
or so as the end insulator and you will usually be
satisfied with the results.