Amps

Re: [Amps] SELL: Ameritron AL1200 Contestor's Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SELL: Ameritron AL1200 Contestor's Amplifier
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:57:35 -0400
<<Tom -- So why do Eimac's published constant current curves
on the
tube begin to deviate from a straight line when the anode
current
exceeds  2.5a peak?>>

Odd-order IM distortion is the result of a transfer function
problem. We certainly can't tell what it is by looking at
the curve at one plate current value. Especially if we
consider how much negative feedback a GG amp has.  The best
way to determine distortion is to actually measure
distortion.

> At 1700W and 200 mA Ig, grid dissipation is about 20
> watts.

<My guess is that it's close to 70v x 0.2a = 14w.>

Eimac's tube calculator software disagrees with that guess
and predicts 20 watts.

73 Tom