Amps

Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>,"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:44:15 -0400
A couple of 1000-1500W inverters and a big deep cycle battery ought to
handle the load for a short time. The trick would be the transfer switching
as well as configuring the two 120V outputs for 240V. There may also be 240V
inverters available.

OTOH would disabling the timer and wiring the filament and plate xfmrs so
they could be independently controlled be considered cheating? As long as
common sense is used for turning the amp on from cold or a momentary AC
failure there wont be any damage to the tubes. I have a NCL-2000 I converted
to 6M in 1964 and the time delay tube has been dead for decades. (current
price is over $80) I jumpered the socket and just make sure that 2 minutes
has elapsed before kicking on the HV. No problems and 8122's are as pricey
as those Alphas.

Carl
KM1H