Amps

Re: [Amps] Can distilled water be used for a dummy load ??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can distilled water be used for a dummy load ??
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:05:30 -0500
Jim,

Tap water has long been used as a coolant in high-power loads, like the
Altronic Omegaline models.  In college, I used a 25KW Omegaline water-cooled
load with a Harris FM-25K FM broadcast transmitter.  These loads are very
compact in relation to their ability to dissipate heat through running
water.  With 25KW being dissipated, you can hold the load in your hand and
it stays cool.  However, touch the water on the output and of course it's
very hot but nowhere near boiling.  All one needs is a household faucet,
garden hose, and a water drain.  For shacks in a basement with a utility
sink, it's ideal.

Flow sensor switches are commonly available that open the transmitter's
interlock in the event water flow stops or become impeded below a
pre-determined cubic volume per unit of time.  The Omegaline loads can be
found on the used market although it takes a hawk to find one at a
reasonably inexpensive price - but they're out there.  These loads offer
incredibly good return-loss specs.  Typically one can expect -30 dB
return-loss up to near 1 GHz.

So, I see no reason why water cannot be used, but I would sweep the load in
water with a VNA and plot return-loss as a function of frequency.  You may
find that the Z changes substantially as it's immersed in water.  Z may also
change with temperature, and that's something that may be part of the
commercial designs.  It may be helpful to call the folks at Altronic for
their input.  They're the world's experts with H2O-cooled loads.

Paul, W9AC