Amps

Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry

To: "Roger \(sub1\)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 09:42:20 -0400
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:08 PM

> On 4/4/2011 10:44 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

Another reason a heavy duty tube makes sense is operator error
survivability.

While protection circuits are supposed to save fragile tubes such as the
3CX800 and 8877 its not 100% guaranteed.We have also seen how well overated
tubes such as the Svetlana 4CX800A which is really just a mil surplus
rebranded 600W GU-74B wear out when pushed.

OTOH with a 3CX3000A7 for example you can use it for a dummy load and it
will survive that 3AM wrong antenna OOOPS in a contest or chasing a
DXpedition. With 3KV and 100W drive it will last near forever, easily run
legal 24/7 in any mode and be one of the cleanest tubes on the band when
driven by a Class A exciter.

Trying to do that with 3-500's in an AL-82 is just asking for a meltdown as
that amp is already on the edge of an IED event as are any of the AL-1200's.

Carl
KM1H