Amps

Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:52:49 -0500
That's the info I needed, Steve!  -30 db IMD at 300+ watts.

Yes, as you said, the 8560's [4CX-250's] will be used as class A voltage
drivers putting out barely a watt or two, and 30 volts of swing. This will
help bring them up into the -50 db+ IMD range, I'm  hoping.

I ordered some OPA-695 RF op amps yesterday for the 5mW to 250mW
amplification, so I'm on the way. Newark has them in stock for about $2.88
each.

For the general list members:

In the meantime, I was thinking of the possibility of a grounded grid chain
for my other project, a 10M-40M amplifier. Since grid driven is a little
more squirrelly and GG is inherently more stable, I was thinking of a mostly
all GG amp.  Say the same 250mW op amp drove a class A 6550 [ grid driven]
that put out 2 watts. This drove a class A  GG 3-500Z that put out only 35W.
This drove a GG 8877 that put out ~1500W.    Question...  what numbers do
you feel the  6550 to 3-500Z chain would do for IMD considering it is
running at about 10X LESS than it's rated output?  But, the 8877 final is
running at about 60% of it's ratings...  If I put negative feedback around
it, could it be brought up to a reasonable IMD match to the driver tubes if
I add more low level  gain to work with?   It would appear the effort would
be lost on the 8877 final... Or maybe I need a 3CX-3000A7 in the final to be
able to derate it too.

My point is, can a GG DRIVER chain running at 10 times less than rated power
compete with a conventional grid driven DRIVER chain with NFB, giving -50db
to -55 db+  IMD figures?

Another question: If I put 10db of negative feedback around the GG final and
GG driver, I can make up for that gain loss by increasing the gain 10 db in
the low level op amp stages I can still get 1500W out, right?   Just want to
be double sure.

73,
Tom, K1JJ