Amps

Re: [Amps] Heat Dissapating 8877 HV Plate Caps

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Heat Dissapating 8877 HV Plate Caps
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:11:31 -0400

> . I don't recall seeing any of them with vertical plates
> anywheres.  >>
>
> I certainly remember vertical fins on 3-400 and 3-500 tubes
> with chimneys. While the cooling is more effective when fins
> line up with the airflow, a large enough dissipating cap
> with improperly aligned fins could and often does work just
> fine.

When I worked in the semiconductor industry our *low power* RF induction
heating units used a pair of large glass triodes that were physically about
the size of a 4-1000A. The radiators that attached to the plate caps on
these were about an inch and a quarter in diameter and had vertical fins.
There were no fans in these generators. The tubes were air cooled while the
inductors were water cooled. The output was about 5 to 6 KW, link coupled to
a load that varied widely in impedance. The next step up were 12 KW out and
used a tube that set in a water jacket/socket rather than having the jacket
being part of the tube.

73

Roger (K8RI)