Amps

[AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 07:53:35 -0000
Jon,

If you do a histogram of the "check" numbers in the
Sweepstakes contest, you will see the that the numbers
are solid up through the early 1980's, at which point
the they start to decline. I suspect that it's no coincidence
that this was the beginning of the personal computer
revolution (more avenues for technically minded people
to chose from).

If I am not mistaken, the bulk of amateur radios recent growth
(number of licensees) has been due almost entirely to the
creation of the no-code technician license. The rest of the
ranks have actually been on the decline.

P.S. As you suggested, there is probably a "seasonal" effect
due to sunspots superimposed over the long term trend.