Amps

[AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s
From: oz5iq@teliamail.dk (OZ5IQ)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:43:23 +0200
HI guys

The advantages of using PP amps is the fact that the input and output
capacitance is in series so the
I/O "c"  is 1/4 of when compared to an parallel Amp.

Another is the balance which " automatic"  gives a supression of the even
harmonics

A general  made fault is that the bias for the tubes is typically only made as
paralelling the
DC supply for the grid 1, / cathode  - and the bias current meassured is a sum
of those currents.
So if not bought as " a set" compared or what we call it, a good Amp can with
ease show  hidden
distortion , inspite looks good. This has nothing with the general Amp. to do
thats obvious.

So eigher matched pair  - or a bias supply for EACH tube, individually
adjustable.

Vy 73 de  OZ5IQ, Kim