Amps

Re: [Amps] ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALC
From: jkearman@att.net (Jim Kearman)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:40:03 +0000
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>

> But, ALC can work if it reduces the gain before it attains escape velocity.
> That means it must decide to shut down while the voltage is building.

The problem is, the processing would ideally be done in the transmitter, not
the amplifier. There's no reason it has to, but transceivers are already so
full of digital stuff, a little more wouldn't matter. For code adepts of the
digital sort, writing a routine that would decrease drive when two conditions
existed:

ALC feedback level rising between two set points at a certain rate, and then
ALC feedback level reaching a certain level

doesn't seem so complicated, but I am not a code adept of that sort.

What a great selling point that would be for Ickensu: "Smart ALC."

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/