Amps

[Amps] Antenna traps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Antenna traps
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:16:29 -0600
I know this is not about amplifiers, except for being able to use one on a
trapped antenna, but has anyone found a set of traps for 40 and 80 that can
handle a legal amplifier output?
I have now fried two sets of 40 traps by Unadilla and one set of 80's which
the new replacements have not been tried at power yet.
The old traps shorted through the cap insulating material, they were old but
never used, so I thought the epoxy was just old.  The new ones have melted
the blue insulator on which the coil is wound on these 40 meter traps with
500 watts power level.
I tuned the antenna to resonance of 1:2 to 1 SWR, worked several stations,
increased power level and after two hours and 500 watts started seeing swr
creep up slow then rapid.  Examination showed the blue material melted and
oozed between coil turns and the coils are now also intermittent.
I need some bullet proof traps.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Gene Bigham