Amps

Re: [Amps] SB-200 DATA

To: <Gudguyham@aol.com>, <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-200 DATA
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:11:54 -0400
I> In a message dated 7/17/2007 7:48:51 P.M. Eastern
Daylight Time,
> km1h@jeremy.mv.com writes:
>
> Converting the SB-200 to a 6M monobander is simple and
> straightforeward  when
> basic design principles are followed. Ive been doing those
> conversions since
> the late 60's and it is completely stable and  repeatable.
> Power output and
> efficiency is the same or better than a good  stock unit
> on say 20M.
>
> Carl
>

> Carl, Indeed, the word on the street is that the 572B is
> not good to 6
> meters, but as you say if it is handled properly it can be
> made to be rather
> stable and the power in the 700 watts range easily.  I
> haven't really seen  a
> published article that really "gets it right" however.
> Lou

I think you fellows are missing the point entirely. There is
a BIG difference between "I can make it work" and "it is a
good choice".

 I can make a sweep tube work on six meters, but it doesn't
mean it is a good choice in tubes for six meters.

Using a tube right at the upper limit frequency isn't the
best idea, unless you just have no other choice or are
trying to prove a point.

73 Tom