Amps

Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:46:50 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:08:29 -0500, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>For the amp builder with little or no experience start off simple. Dont
>waste money on expensive and fragile tubes such as the 8877 at this stage.

REPLY:

I agree and would like to point out that your first homebrew amp will
almost certainly not be your last. Even if it works as it should, you
will want to "improve" it somehow. My final homebrew amp is the fifth
in a line that goes back to the 1990's. I would build one, get it
working, tear it apart and try to do "better". Fifth try was the
charm. Your number may vary but I bet it will be similar.  :-)

Purely in terms of time and money I would have been WAY ahead to just
have bought an Alpha to begin with and I would have had lots more time
on the air besides. But the experience was worth it all.

Incidentally I did the exact same thing building a 20 foot sailboat
from scratch in the 1980's. A great experience and education, but if I
simply wanted a sailboat, I would buy one commercially built for all
the same reasons.

73, Bill W6WRT