Amps

Re: [Amps] 100 KW probably on 27.025?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 100 KW probably on 27.025?
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 12:44:02 -0600
Its not a 4CX100,000E though, its a 4CW100,000E. Maybe he will run it air cooled!

Biggest in the world? What?

He hasn't seen commercial HF amplifiers and transmitters that use tubes requiring cranes. At work I built a push pull HF amplifier 27 years ago, using pair of TH555A, 200 kW tetrodes. Although it is pulsed and not continuous carrier, it has the same 15 kV plate voltage, 1250 volts on screen, I chose not to use the 4CW150,00E at the time, had two of them plus new sockets. The TH555A have pyrolytic graphite grids. It has run all these years, at a single freq of 2.795 MHz. The tubes are running class A, pulsed, BTW. Quiescent plate current during the pulse is 40 Amps each tube.

73

John

K5PRO

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 11:59:12 -0400
From: "Chris Smart \(ve3rwj\)"<ve3rwj@winsystem.org>
To:<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 100 KW probably on 27.025?
To:amps@contesting.com

A 4CW100,000E draws more than twice the ham legal limit, 3300 watts,
just to light the filaments.