Amps

Re: [Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps

To: "Steve" <g8gsq72@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:03:03 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 9:40 AM

Make sure your transformer is up to it - big caps can mean higher peak
currents and more I^2xR in the windings.

Steve

## I thought the same thing. I used PSUD to see the results with various
values used.
In actual usage, there is no issue.....provided the xfmr is the low Z type,
which most are.   The ones that heat up a bit are always the high Z
types..... made for choke input supplies.

Yes, for any decent transformer it's not normally a problem - my comment was meant as a caution against taking it for granted. I've seen it where a transformer (not a choke input type) was marginal for the load so voltage was sagging and someone thought they would add lots more C to try and prop it up.

As you say, PSUD is your friend.

Steve

Not all transformers designed for SS and capacitor input are low resistance. Ive come across several 1-4 kVA units designed for FWB that have 2-4 times the winding resistance that many seem to take for granted as being fine for all sorts of wild amounts of C.

Carl
KM1H