Amps

[Amps] Fixing Arc Damage on Capacitors

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fixing Arc Damage on Capacitors
From: Dennis W0JX via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 22:05:57 +0000 (UTC)
They can be repaired but it is detailed and laborious work.  The plate caps on
both my SB-220 and AL-800H have arced over and melted portions of the fixed and
rotator plates.  The plates can be filed and sanded smooth and the edges of the
plates rounded. It is best to remove and disassemble the capacitor to do this.
I was lucky to find some spare capacitor plates in a flea market. The plate
sizes and shapes are often the same on various capacitors.
In the case of the SB-220, I had to do considerable filing and smoothing. That
solved the problem. Just make sure that there are no micro projections or
sharps edges on any of the plates. Also, make sure that the spacing between the
plates is balanced and equal.
73 Dennis W0JX