Amps

Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: w6ah@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:50:25 +0000

From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>

> wc6w@juno.com wrote:
>
> > P.S. -- Steve T. posited in another post that there was little intrinsic
> difference between a vanilla 4CX350A and the 4CX350FJ. The data sheet claims
> 10dB lower distortion at equal power. That's a lot. I wonder if Eimac uses a
> striped cathode aligned grid scheme, as in the 4CX600J & 4CX1500B, in the
> '350FJ?
> In the data I have, only the FJ has IMD data in the specs - but it's at
> either 100 or 250W out, even if that's average power it's less than the
> tube is capable of. It reminds me a lot of the ratings I'm used to with
> semiconductors where generic parts are respecified at lower power in
> order to get linearity for specific applications. I stress it's just my
> guess, and I'm wide open to correction.

OK then here it comes Steve. :-)
First let's start with an excerpt from Care and Feeding of Power grid Tubes
which is posted on Eimac's Website page 96:
 [I]It is possible by clever manipulation of electron ballistics within a given
tube structure to alter the transfer characteristic and minimize the distortion
products. Several tubes developed recently by Eimac have transfer
characteristics which significantly reduce distortion.[/I]
Now go back to page 93 which will reveal performnce specs of various Eimac
tubes. Included in the listing is the 4CX350F. The IMD numbers fpr the 350F is
-29 db 3rd order products and -30 db for 5th Order products. Now go back and
check out the data sheet for the 350F. It includes two sets of measuring
points. One set optimised for a clean signal the other for maximum power. If
you look at the numbers for max signal, the dirtier of the two, the 350F's
numbers are -40 db 3rd order products and -45 db 5th order products. The 3rd
order products for the 350FJ are 10% that of the 350F.
Now matter how you look at it the 350FJ is clearly a cleaner tube.

Bob W6AH