Amps

Re: [Amps] Intermittent AL-811H SWR problem

To: k7fm@teleport.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Intermittent AL-811H SWR problem
From: Jack Berry <jlberry@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:14:45 -0800 (PST)
Sorry Colin, I did mean <60 watts, not amps.
It's the radio that is seeing the intermittent SWR, not the amp. With the amp
totally pulled out of chain, the SteppIR never presents more that 2:1 for the
most part.

I have checked the SO-239 for bad joints, and have replaced the jumper between
the radio and amp with new coax and connectors. That hasn't eliminated the
problem either.
I do notice that the problem doesn't come up on a cold amp but seems to
eventually happen once the amp is in operation for a few minutes (10 or more).

Thanks for the response. Hope this offers a clue or two.

73,
Jack - WE5ST

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:45:00 -0600
From: Jack Berry <jlberry@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Amps] Intermittent AL-811H SWR problem
To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>

I'm driving the 811H with <60 amps from a K3 into a SteppIR beam. I'm seeing
high SWR (as much as 24:1) come and go.

Changed interconnecting coax, etc.
With the amp out of the lineup the SWR  is fine.
The reading I've done seems to say the tubes are failing. But I would think the
problem would stay if that were the case.

Any ideas?

Thanks & 73,
Jack - WE5ST

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:49:03 -0800
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
To: "Jack Berry" <jlberry@yahoo.com>,    <amps@contesting.com>

I'm driving the 811H with <60 amps from a K3 into a SteppIR beam. I'm seeing
high SWR (as much as 24:1) come and go.
Changed interconnecting coax, etc.
With the amp out of the lineup the SWR  is fine.
The reading I've done seems to say the tubes are failing. But I would think
the problem would stay if that were the case.

Any ideas?

Do you mean less than 60 watts?  You say you are seeing a high SWR.  Where?
Is it between the k3 and the amp or the amp and the SteppIR?  Hard to
diagnose if we do not know the facts.

73, Colin  K7FM