Amps

Re: [Amps] SB220 tune cap

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 tune cap
From: Robert Groh via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 08:32:31 -0700 (PDT)
Great info, Carl - thanks.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

________________________________
 From: Carl via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>; amps@contesting.com
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:37 AM

That is correct Pete.

There are 2 basic reasons for SB-220 (and most all amps) arcing.

1. Open circuit at the relay, wrong band selected, high VSWR, tuner (many
reasons), remote antenna switch, feedline/connectors, and antenna. A short
may also cause it depending upon location.

2. High RF voltage in the tank circuit, usually during tuning. Making a
tuning chart helps. Adding a 10-12pf 500V silver mica or a 1-3KV NPO disc
ceramic between the 40-20M positions right at the switch will substantially
reduce the risk.

Not having a clue how to tune an amp and swinging knobs all over the place
with close to or full drive is the main cause of arcs.

Often capacitor arc damage can be removed if it is the later erector set
construction by progressively sanding with 1000 to 2000 grit wet-dry paper
and finish with a metal polish.  End of the plate melt downs can be
progessively filed down and then the sandpaper.

Carl
KM1H