Amps

[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: mai@iquest.net (Patrick Croft)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:06:29 -0400 (EDT)
Larry,
May I inject a couple comments concerning QRO?  Good, here they are.
Listen on 1.850MHz if you can, as Ray Connin (KB8VU), owner of QRO visits in
the eves.  You'll also hear some excellent discussions about amps, all
brands, not just QRO.  Some of the regulars of the freq have QRO's, but many
brands are represented.  In other words, its not just a QRO group/freq.

The QRO is well built, has many refinements that I haven't seen in others,
and Ray is offering excellent support based upon comments and owner reports.
On the 'other side' of the page, the Hypersil is  rated ICCS, not CCS, the
tubes are new to the market and the units are big.  QRO's attention to
detail was very obvious at Dayton.  We also played the
Alpha/QRO/Commander/Ameritron trail.  In close review, the verniers on the
QRO and Ameritron were smoother than the others, the wiring/soldering detail
appeared best on the QRO, and the mechanical 'ruggedness' seemed to be won
by QRO.  I think you'll see QRO's gaining a regional market, and if the
focus continues on customers as seems to be QRO's intent, QRO will gain
serious market share overall.  I overheard a dozen DX op's commenting at
each booth, and while Alpha has a strong following, QRO should have received
some export orders by now.

Both Alpha and QRO have websites.

Hope this helps a little.

Bests,