Amps

[AMPS] SB-201; 4 Band Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-201; 4 Band Amplifier
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 98 07:51:07 -0800
>I recently obtained an SB-201 which was built during the 4 band time
>period of amplifier sales resulting from FCC mind think on elimination
>of CB amplifier use of HAM amplifiers.
>
>IN ORDER TO GET THIS AMP ON 10 METERS
>And get it working, in general, I need to locate the following:
>
>1.
>Bandswitch output and driver input circuit switch only has 4 positions,
>so I need to locate a new set of wafers for 5 band conversion.
>A set of wafers for output tank taps and a set for input circuits will
>be needed.
with some salvaged contacts from other wafers, and some #0-80 brass
hardware, you can add the needed contacts to your switch wafers.
>2.
>Input L-C networks mount to the back panel of the amp and the panel is
>only drilled for four circuits. This can be changed pretty easily by
>drilling a new mount hole and installing the components.
>
>3.
>15 Meter output tank has been tapped for a 10 meter position by
>somebody with a blow torch and a piece of copper strap, but wired all
>wrong for operation on either 15 or 10. (Interesting conversion of a 4
>band amp into a 3 band amp)
>This is an easy fix and clean-up.
>
>4. TO MAKE THIS THING A 5 BAND  AMPLIFIER, I NEED.............
>
>FOR 5 BAND CONVERSION:
>AA)   Wafers for the input and output 5 bandswitch positions.
>BB)   Adjustable "L" for 10 meter input.
>
>GENERAL AMP CONSTRUCTION:
>Cleanup of bad solder techniques,
>AA)   EBS circuit board will be added to run the transformer cooler
If an RF-actuated ECBS circuit is used, the tubes will rapidly switch
between linear and non-linear bias potentials during voice transmissions,
which makes doo-doo.  An ECBS which senses dc current flow in the relay
coil can not switch to non-linear bias during transmit.
later, Bob

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K