Amps

[AMPS] ALC considerations with SB-200 and TS-430S

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALC considerations with SB-200 and TS-430S
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 98 16:08:41 -0800
>Hi Gang,
>
>I just received my spiffy _new_ SB-200 amplifier today.  I'm using a
>TS-430S as an exciter.  The 430 requires -8 to-10 VDC for ALC.  After
>searching through the Heathkit manual I can't find anywhere that states the
>ALC voltage of the SB-200.  Does anyone know?  Do I dare fire up the amp
>and try to take a voltage reading from the ALC jack?  Any help will be
>appreciated.  BTW, I won't be putting the amp into service for a few days
>till I receive my soft key kit from Harbach electronics.  Thanks to all in
>advance and 73,

100w is enough drive for 4, 572Bs.  However, ALC does not work as
imagined due to finite onset delay.   Better to put 20 to 30 ohms in
series with the SB-200's RF coupling capacitor to the cathodes.  This (RF
NFB) improves  linearity and raises the drive requirement.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K