Amps

[AMPS] PT-1000-K1Mh

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PT-1000-K1Mh
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 98 02:35:59 -0800
>                                       The thing that is really sad here is
> that I really need some help.
>Due to my own clumsiness, I am out the money I spent for this amp--money I
>don't have much of at the moment due to illness in the family--until I get
>it fixed and functional again.  The meter at least does seem to work but
>still no idea as to why the arcing that continues.

I do not think it is a wonderful idea to continue to operate an amplifier
that exhibits an intermittent arcing problem.  From my experiences, when
an amplifier is arcing, it's trying to tell you something.

>I appealed to this list
>to seek assistance and pick the collective brains of this group, not to
>start a war.

You should have been around when Mr. Rauch claimed that an ex-Eimac "R+D
Engineering Manager" by the name of one Joseph 'Buzz' Miklos had
discovered numerous technical errata in my *QST* articles.  I phoned
Eimac and discovered that Miklos was an "Engineer B", and not what Mr.
Rauch claimed.  .  Now that was a pretty good skirmish.  Another notable
was when two members of the Rauchian camp suggested that my secretary was
licking more than envelopes and stamps.  .

>I really appreciate the mail I've gotten so far from Paul,
>who has helped me with possible parts and Rich and Carl I appreciate you
>also.  rich, I might want to try some of your supressors, I am always open
>to new ideas, but right now, I need to solve the basic problem of the amp
>before I worry about improvements.

Maybe solving the basic problem means decreasing the vhf amplification of
the 3-500Z?

>I guess what I really need is a
>friendly person to say the email equivallent of "there there" to soothe my
>guilt and disappointment.

Guilt for what?  Parasites aren't anybody's fault.  Forrest Gump said
"shit happens".  Maybe some did?  .  .  The literature on vhf parasitics
has been sparse.  F.E. Handy gave some advice in the 1926 and 1927
Handbooks.   There is a book that briefly  discusses the subect.
(Dittrich, H. F.; *Tubes for R. F. Heating*; N.V. Phillips
Gloeilaampenfabrieeken--Eindhoven, the Netherlands.  Section 5.8,
'Parasitic Suppression Circuits' p.96).  However, the book is  scarce.
The college I got booted out of after three years had no course that
covered vhf parasitics.  There have only been a few articles in *QST*
{10-88, 3-89, 9-90} about the subject.
-  You are not the first Viewstar owner who has had mysterious arcing
problems.  There was a ham radio equipment dealer in Arizona who carried
them when they first appeared in the U.S.   I knew two guys who bought
Viewstar amplifiers.  Both experienced mysterious arcing problems, and
returned the amplifiers to the dealer.  Shortly thereafter, the dealer
stopped carrying the product. .  .  What went wrong?  My guess is that
the tubes used in final-test at the factory were not the same tubes that
were sold with the amplifier.  In other words, the buyer probably
received brand-new tubes in factory-sealed boxes.  New tubes typically
have higher gain.  An amplifier that is marginally-stable may work fine
for years with unfrisky tubes, however, when new, frisky tubes are
installed, sparks may fly.

Kevin:     In the interest of science, and if you are interested, we will
send you a gratis, parasitic suppressor retrofit kit.   I would like to
find out what happens to your arcing problem when you install a lower
VHF-Rp suppressor.  The kit  contains glitch protection components to
protect your meter shunts and meters, so there should be reduced risk to
precious parts.  If you know how to solder, installing the kit is pretty
easy.  And, as a special added bonus, we will throw in, at no extra
charge, a double your money back 100% total satisfaction guarantee.  .
-  note -   If you install a different parasitic suppressor, please do
not clean up the Tune C plates that were previously arcing.
 .  I would appreciate receiving a xerox copy of the part of the PT1000
diagram that shows the metering circuitry and the tube.  .  My address
is:  Richard L. Measures, 6455 La Cumbre Road, Somis, CA  93066 voice
tel. [805] 386 3734
thanks
- later -

cheers