Amps

[AMPS] Plate Chokes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate Chokes
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:19:44 EST
All good information.

Alpha used/uses a sectional RFC that is switched by a bandswitch wafer
contact. Expensive but it allows considerable leeway for out of ham band
use. I have seen others that use a LV switch wafer to control vacuum
relays but this was for commercial 5KW 2-30MHz continuous coverage.

The bottom line should be to build to your own requirements and get as
complicated as necessary. Overkill just complicates the layout and adds
cost.
For just the 9 HF ham bands, 1 RFC will suffice for most builders in the
1-2.5kW range.

I still feel that #28 wire is sufficient, it is used in the big
Ameritrons, MLA-2500,  Amp Supply LK-800 and even the Alpha 77DX/SX.
The Ameritron measures 212 uh; I can provide winding info if desired.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]