Amps

[AMPS] don't choke on this

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] don't choke on this
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 10:28:26 -0800

>On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:10:39 -0700 John Lyles <jtml@lanl.gov> writes:
>

>>I apologize to you ham amplifier designers as your frequency range is
>>soooo broad. Bound to hit a sneak resonance if you're not careful, not to
>>mention a lot of losses across your plate circuit. There have been a number
of
>>segmented schemes which seem to work in a fashion. Seems to me that
>>using a GDO is like setting your timing in your automobile engine by
blinking
>>your eyes fast.
>
>C'mon now John....what do you think the commercial companies used back in
>days of old?

Amen, Carl.  Dipmeters are still good for finding resonances, and they
always will be.   A dipmeter showed me the falacy of using gapped choke
sections on the same form.
>A 1/2" diameter is ideal for 80-10M and maybe even 160M. The SB200-220
>choke is only 50uh but the first series resonance is around 45MHz. I have
>not tried extending that form factor to 100 + uh but it might bear some
>testing.

As expected, the resonance moves down into the HF region, so you gotta be
careful on which frequency you park it.
>Also back in the 80's there was a HRM article mentioning the use of a
>ferrite rod inside a choke form...the reference was a 5KW commercial
>application with no series resonances 2-30MHz.  Later on B&W used that
>concept on their BBC-5K choke.

Two potential problems is that ferrite can saturate and ferrite is a
semi-conductor.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K