Amps

[AMPS] Dentron DTR 2000L

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dentron DTR 2000L
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:27:55 -0500

On Sun, 06 Dec 1998 13:58:15 -0500 NI4L <ni4l@bellsouth.net> writes:

>Yes iwas planning on using a double toroid wrapped with glass tape a
>heavy
>duty bandswitch,and some 3/8 copper tubing for the tank.

A proper sized Powdered Iron core...NOT ferrite...would work on 160/40M
if you wanted to make the effort, but I would not want to use a toroid
much above 80M. The original 2000L tank could use about 4 or 5 uh
additional L on 160M and there a few stacked T225-2A toroids would be
very helpful.

As i mention
>eariler
>this amp is only set up for 40 meters.so all that will come out. I was
>told
>that the orginal tank circuit was stranded wire insulated wound on a
>formar
>tube, that it would really get hot after 500 wattts key down for 1
>min.

Thats a bunch of bull, dont know who puts out that info!  The Clipperton
L used that method ( #14 stranded, silver plated and Teflon insulated
BTW) on 160-40M but it works well at 1200W in that amp.
The DTR-2000L uses a ceramic form for the lower bands and #8 wire for
10-20M. Certainly not perfect but not bad either.

Having not seen the orginal myself i'm just relying on what i was
>told. I may
>be out in left feild some where i've only done 2 other amp projects
>and i'm
>still kindof a newbee at it. They say "it will come to those who
>wait". Yes
>Carl id be interested in the tank circuit and peices what do you have
>to have
>for them?

Lets see, both variable caps, coils, bandswitch and all fixed caps,
almost a bolt in assembly...how does $125 shipped sound. All parts are
clean, not arced, etc.

Or if you dont want to get into the amp, tell me what you want for it.
I'll have it on 6M in a heartbeat!

>Also another thing puzzels me as to the p/s being set up for 120v/220v
>how
>would this thing run on 120v seems like everything would get really
>hot?
>Chris 73s

Forget 120V at that power level, you would need to have the AC panel a
few feet from the amp.
At a prior QTH I ran #6 wires from the panel to the shack, 20' away, so I
could use some 110VAC antique iron in a full blown AM KW+.
These days I even test SB-200's on a 240V line.

73  Carl  KM1H