Amps

[AMPS] Henry Roller Coil

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry Roller Coil
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 03:36:36 -0500

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:12:39 -0800 zeitler@ibm.net writes:

>>>The Henry 2KD5 that I owned would put out over 1500 watts on 10
>meters.
>For
>>>you that dont know, the henry 2kd5 and other Henry amps, use the
>band
>switch
>>>to switch in "C1" caps. The "plate tune" control is a edge wound
>roller
>>>coil.
>
>?  however, this roller coil also shorts unused turns.
>

>Rich...
>
>R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures
>
>I agree, the coil that Henry used in that amp was not satisfactory. I
>owned
>two of these amps and never did like the way they had the switched
>caps and
>the roller coil set up. I never understood why they did not use the
>Johnson
>roller coils. Superior to the HB Henry stuff.
>
>KM3G

My experience with roller coils in ham applications has been consistently
bad. They were not designed for constant (rotary) use as we hams tend to
do. Instead they were/are used primarily in channelized commercial and
military equipment where there was/is very little daily frequency
excursions.  QSY was/is almost always to presets.
On top of that the rollers that we get are often used and with the same
faults that got them replaced in the first place.

Dont get me going on that Henry 2KD5 abortion Lane!  Looks as it was
built in an LA Chop Shop. Good idea poor execution.

IMO the ideal 2-3KW amp would have a 9-10 position bandswitch of overkill
capacity, cool running coils, aluminum RF enclosure and a steel xfmr
enclosure. With a little bit of forethought it could all reside in a
table top amp .

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]