Amps

[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:34:52 -0500

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 15:55:14 EST Mark S Graalman <wb8jkr@juno.com>
writes:

>  Well, I have two cantennas and have run both of
>them at 2KW without any problems with SWR shift BUT
>I've never left it key down more than about 1 minute continuous.
>Both use transformer oil.  I did build the "super dummy"  project
>in the handbook and it handles the higher power levels much
>better but still gets VERY HOT after about 5-8 minutes at 2 KW.

And that uses two 1 gallon cans in series.
If you were to take it a step further and mount that load in a 5 gallon
can with several  fairly large size holes for circulation the power
handling would increase.
The internal can will act as a heat sink to some degree but for pushing
the limit I would guess that a circulating pump would help.

It is also not something for continuous use and abuse since once heated
it takes quite a while for the oil to cool. IOW, this is not a load for
production line testing.

BUT, we are getting away from the basic simplicity of the Cantenna when
we go into water cooling and other complexity.

Suffice it to say that my earlier suggestion does work well for the
purpose of amp testing at the legal power limit far exceeding the basic
Cantenna and it does have its limits.

73  Carl  KM1H

.