Amps

[AMPS] L-Net calculations: Am I doing something wrong?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L-Net calculations: Am I doing something wrong?
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 99 16:56:09 -0600
>>Why does my power output top out at 800 Watts?  Once I get over 60 watts of
>>drive, I get no more power out no matter what I do.
>
>?  Sounds like a tuned input problem.  What is C1?

Interesting.  I forget what C1 is.  I would have to check.  I have thought it
might be a problem given the fact I am using slug tuned coils.  Perhaps the
slugs start to saturate.  The 10m input SWR isn't perfect right now, but is
under 2:1.  I need to adjust the slug a bit.  But what does flat topping have
to do with the value of C1.

>>The current will
>>change depending on what amount of drive you have applied to the amp.  So
>>I what I think you are saying is that you would need to drive the amp so
>>that the plate current is at 0.8 A.  But then if you decrease the drive,
>>you would change the impedance and hence the match.  Correct?
>>
>?  yes x 3.  The guy who wants to take it easy on his linear amp. and
>tunes up with reduced drive, gets a mistune every time.  .  .

Well, correct.  However, I was taught to tune it up initially with low power
and then gradually crank up the power, tune it, crank the power more, tune it,
etc. until you get to full desired output power and then do a final tune job on
it.

73,

Jon
KE9NA