Amps

[AMPS] Tube IMD/6146/4cx10000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tube IMD/6146/4cx10000
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:09:05 -0800 (PST)

I have would also be interested in this area, my 4cx10000 has superb
3rd order IMD. The problem is the driver,(all ham radios). My idea is
to use  TS830s with a modified 6146, modified for improved 3rd order
IMD to drive a 4cx600J(3rd order imd -46 db at 500 watts) then to
drive a 4cx10000.

My question, has anyone optimized a 6146 for best 3rd order IMD, and
what is the typical figure. I would use solid state but typical driver
transistors have very low 3rd order IMD performance.

On another note i cannot measure the improved 3rd imd of the
4cx10000J, its just as good as the plain 4cx10000. I use a HP141t, i
might be doing something wrong in the measurment prcocess. I have
played with numerous settings of plate/screen and grid volts, but cant
seem to get the improvement. The 4cx600J however is superb with
bypassed cathode resistor.

Igor
RW3