Amps

[AMPS] 6146 high imd/receivers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 6146 high imd/receivers
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:16:53 -0800 (PST)

No not a typical scanner, but the AOR 7030 plus, this receiver has
created quite a controversy. Its 3rd order intercept point is +30dbm,
for a $1500 dollar receiver is very good. It certainly blows the pants
off a Watkins Johnson. Ham radio makers have been very slow to improve
receiver performance. You can now buy surplus Racal receivers from the
early eighties with very good intercept points. It is unacceptable to
pay big bucks for a FT 1000mp or any ham radio and have to turn on the
attenuator. You should come to Europe dring the CQWW, and watch the
FT1000 and all ham radios just fall into a heap, i use the AOR its the
only one that will take the punishment. Most new high perforance
receivers are now hitting +40dm third order points with  front end
preselectors. The big problems with the Jap designers is they refuse
to use American high performance RF components. The AOR designer is
English and knows how to design a good receiver, the japs are just
good at stuffing 5 lbs of junk into a 1 l lb box.

Anyway all these problems have been well documented in QST/QEX by
Ulrich Rhode, DJ2LR. We wont go into it here.

<irosky@yahoo.com>

IMD, and

> > > There are some interesting developments in SS IMD performance in
the
> > > microwave wireless industry.
> > > Using circuitry to sense the IMD and then phase shifting back to
the
> > > input, performance in the area of -50dB is attainable. I do not
know
> > the
> > > details but understand it is somewhat involved.
> > >

> > > The TS-830 is a nice xcvr Igor, I use a pair of them here on
VHF/UHF
> > > drive transverters.
> > > For HF you may want to add a low series R regulator to the screens
> > of the
> > > 6146's and the 12BY7A driver. It appears that you will have more
than
> > > enough drive for the 4CX600J so consider reducing the Ep and Es
on the
> > > 12BY7A primarily for longevity.
> > > With some fine tuning of the various voltages and currents you can
> > expect
> > > around
> > > -40dB or better IMD under voice condx. The negative feedback
used is
> > > based upon the Collins design.
> > >

> > > 73  Carl  KM1H

HP141t, i