Amps

[AMPS] resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] resistors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:29:01 -0800

>Rich says:
>
>>?  References, please.  .  In a typical 8171 anode-supply, a 100k-ohm
>>bleeder would dissipate 810 watts.

>>piece of
>>>>>

>I'm puzzled. 810 watts dissipation in 100K means 9kV across it. That seems a
>bit high for the 8171.

?  The rating for A-zero emission is 7500VDC.  I ran mine at 9100v-No
load / c. 7800v under ssb modulation.  I have heard that 10kV no-load is
ok for ssb service.  At the AM rating, the peak anode supply potential is
10kV under 100% modulation.  .

>If the 3w MOF resaistors are rated at 500volts, 10 of them give you 5kV, and
>that's a hell of a lot less than 9kV.

?  In that amplifier I used a 40k-ohm 10w R across each of the 20
electrolytic filter  caps.
This was before I tested Matsushita's MOF resistors.  For example, a
100-ohm 3w rated  unit will dissipate 12w for one-hour with little ill
effect.

-  cheers, Peter

Rich...