Amps

[AMPS] YC-156

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] YC-156
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 06:37:27 -0800

>At 03:37 PM 2/21/99 -0800, Arne Gjerning wrote:
>>
>>Is this an EIMAC tube or RCA? Can not find this nubmber in EIMAC catalogs
>>I have. Does it have descriptive number or EIA 4 digit number?
>
>It's an Eimac
>
>It's a cross between the 3CPX5000A7 and the 3CX15000A7. It's specs in most
>regards are the same as the 5000. But its current curves ressemble the 15000.
>
>As Terry(W6RU) has already stated it's a pretty easy tube to build around.
>Medical Pulls are fairly cheap. N8RGR is the man to talk to if you want to
>obtain an example.
>
>The draw backs of this tube. The filament is of the Oxide Coated
>Unipotential type. 15 Volts at 14 amps with a 6 Minute warmup time and no
>one rebuilds them. Secondly they have a fairly high output capacitance
>(36pf) So even though they have a max freq spec of 110Mhz your not going to
>match them up with a pi-network on 10 Meters.

?  At QRP levels, this is undoubtedly true because RL would be abnormally
high.  Increase the anode current to normal, RL drops to a reasonable
level, and a match is easy.  One of the greater old-wives' tales of
amateur radio is that adding another tube doubles  C-out which renders
the amplifier unusuable on 10m.   However, when a second tube is added,
RL is cut in half, and that doubles the C needed for C-tune.  Thus, it is
not the anode-C / Cout which causes a match prob. on 10m, it is the ratio
of Cout to RL.

>The complete specs for this tube are up on an FTP site setup by G8WRB.

?  Got a url?

>The
>design of the tube is fairly old itself. 1968 is the date on the data sheet.

?  ... sounds to me like an enlarged 8877 design.

-  later, Bob

Rich...