Amps

[AMPS] HV Power Supply for 3-500Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Power Supply for 3-500Z
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:19:42 -0700
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:11:07 -0700 "Jerry L. Pyle" <jpyle@tctwest.net>
writes:

>What taps can I use??
>Have a like new!!! but old United Transformer Company Type S47 hv
>transformer  115 vas primary secondary taps at 2000, 2500, and 3000
>vac
>center tap. 32 mf 4500 vdc cap and GE commercial full wave bridge.
>The
>transformer weighs in at 25 lbs. No current rating but according to
>the
>Twenty-Third Edition of the Radio Handbook should have an IVS of
>about
>1.5 KW. Actual AC checked at the line here in house is 128 vac.
>
>Again....what voltage taps recommended for a pair of 3-500Zs
>...remember
>this is a  full wave power supply..

Someone told me a long time ago that these UTC transformers were
unsuitable for full wave bridge use because the center tap
terminal is extremely close to the metal case of the transformer,
and is designed to be grounded in a full wave center tap circuit.

I don't know if that is correct or not, but as I remember, the spacing
did look rather close.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]