Amps

[AMPS] YC-156

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] YC-156
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:21:46 -0500

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:38:40 -0000 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>Joe says:
>
>> When underdriven the RL goes quite high
>
>Only if you are going for maximum plate swing when running 1500 watts
>out.
>If you ran with say a 2000 ohm load and 2700 volts pk swing (5400 v
>p-p),
>you'd get about 1800 watts at the tube. Efficiency wouldn't be
>anything to
>write home about, but that's not what you're looking for if using that
>big a
>tube.

Something a few others seem to not understand Peter.

With 5 or 6kV on the plate and a good standing current, it would
>be
>well under run  - nearer Class A than AB. Probably last a life time.

And cheap to obtain.

>Also, it would probably be worth buying shares in the electricity
>company,
>since you'll help the profits with the low efficiency.

Why ??  Whats the yearly $$ difference between a 45-50% efficient and a
60-65% efficient 1500W amp when run on SSB in ham service?

Sorta reminds me of the types that go for the smallest and cheapest
automobiles just to save 5mpg and then only drive 12K miles a year! One
crunch from a real vehicle and they are dead meat.

73  Carl  KM1H
Love my big V-8 road hogs

>73
>
>Peter G3RZP
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]