Amps

[AMPS] Impedance of amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Impedance of amplifiers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:26:56 -0400
> Tom says:
>
>  >You can not use those models to describe power transfer in
>  >systems where source impedance varies with load impedance, and
>  >that is pretty common, except at one power or load impedance.
>
> Yes. Agreed. So what is your model for the Class AB PA?

Depends on what I need the model to do. If it is dissipation, there
is no model that works. It has to be the "real thing".

If it is maximum power transfer, I just use a simple resistance and
reactance and work the tank backwards.

If it is a varying load impedance, and the goal is constant current or
voltage, the design goal is a lot different than a conventional PA.

The model that works depends on the application. In some cases
a Thevenin or Norton won't work, unless the model gets changed
with operating parameters.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com