Amps

[AMPS] SSR's reforming electrolytic caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SSR's reforming electrolytic caps
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:15:09 -0700

One of the reasons I asked about users of SSR's in Amplifier
power supplies, was my interest in their off position leakage.

I often rebuild amplifier power supplies with older electrolytic
capacitor banks on board. I worry about these capacitors when
they sit idle for extended periods of time.

I'm in the process of working up a capacitor reforming mode
for power supplies using electrolytics.  The goal of this mode
would be to provide a very slow ramp up toward the normal HV,
allowing the capacitor to reform before the amplifier is step
started for operation. The amplifier would not be available for
operation during the reforming process.

I would hope this 1st ps mode would avoid "shocking" a long
time unused electrolytic cap and avoid a premature failure.

It is possible the leakage of a SSR could be counted on to ease
the "shock of a "long time idle" electrolytic capacitor. The HV power
supply may ease up some value (say a few hundred volts) in
the off mode with the line breaker(s) on.

You could consider it a side bar benefit of using an SSR in HV
circuits. Thanks to all the folks who provided information and
their colorful opinions.

cheers
skipp
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!