Amps

[AMPS] amp project: 4-400s X 4

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amp project: 4-400s X 4
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:01:08 EDT
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:51:03 -0700 "Lamb" <k7fm@teleport.com> writes:
>Marv suggests using the old computer power supplies to provide regulated
>filament voltages for PA tubes.
>
>Marv, you really know how to spoil a guy's day.
>
>I collect old tubes, old transformers, old radios, old meters and power
>supply parts.  I have more than I need and I still collect them.  In
short,
>I collect junk.  But, I have felt good about myself because I do throw
some
>things out.  One of the few things I throw out has been old computer
>switching power supplies - because they were not good for anything.
>
>Now, however, you have changed even that.  If my wife ever asked me "do
you
>throw anything out?", I had been prepared to answer "old computer power
>supplies".  So, if I start collecting old switching power supplies, what
am
>I going to tell my wife I throw out?
>
>Despite that, it is a great idea!
>
>73,  Colin  K7FM

Hi Colin,
  Well, you only need a couple of them.

  Incidently, I wasn't referring to the IBM PC style power supplies.
I've only tried this trick with better built commercial supplies which
have more protection features (including startup ramp & overcurrent) and
adjustable output voltage.  It might be doable with a PC supply -- they
do put out about 15-20A @ 5 volts... but, caveat designer.

  As far as collecting junk -- I claim the 5th!  :-)

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!