Amps

[AMPS] Switches

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Switches
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:21:41 -0700

>measures wrote:
>> >
>> When a 5000v bandswitch breaks down with a 2800v PS, and R-supp gets
>> zapped on 80m, what else could it be, Peter?
>
>May I answer this one on his behalf?
>1. Fish food.
>2. Polly pooh.
>3. Various other contaminants that break down the insulating properties
>of high voltage devices, especially when some heat is involved.

This seems a bit unlikely with open contacts.

>For the same reason an auto engine's distributor works fine on 25 kV,
>but once it starts to "track", normally due to dirt, good bye.

There is no dirt visable in the photos of the burned bandswitches on my
Web site.  My SB-220's bandswitch used to intermittently spit during 40m
operation.  On 40m, there was a pecuilar double dip as the Tune-C was
rotated.  The double dip disappeared when lower Rp suppressors were
retrofitted.

cheers, Ian.

end