Amps

[AMPS] Oil Filled Capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Oil Filled Capacitors
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:09:46 -0700

>> Herbach & Rademan has 32 ufd @ 4.5KV GE units listed in their catalog
>for
>> $39.95 each (new). Look in their on-line catalog under the category
>"energy
>> storage capacitors; although when you get to the page with the caps,
>it
>> lists them under "Energy Storage/Filter Capacitors" (?)
>
>I have always been told to not use energy storage capacitors in HV power
>supplies for filtering purposes.  I tried, unsuccessfully to find a GE
>data sheet on the above mentioned cap ( 28F2023G11 ) to see what the
>manufacturer had to say about it.
>
>Has anyone actually used one of these caps in a plate supply?  If so,
>please let us hear about your experience with it.

/\  I ran a ripple-current vs. heating test on two.  They got  warmer
than regular filter caps.  However, for SSB use, where the duty-cycle is
c. 15%, energy storage capacitors should do ok provided they are operated
below their peak-V rating.

cheers, Ken

>k4xl@arrl.net
>*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
>On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu or
>FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end