Amps

[AMPS] Setting the record straight--Dick Ehrhorn

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Setting the record straight--Dick Ehrhorn
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:34:20 -0700

>> Dick Ehrhorn clearly has more experience than I do--
>> but I have used (roughly) more than a 1,000 Eimac
>> oxide-coated cathode type tubes without any issues
>> due to VHF parasitics.  Maybe I am just lucky or maybe
>> the design was good.  I'll let you decide.
>>
>> Of course this does not cover any Eimac tubes that have
>> had manufacturing problems--such as the heat dam issue
>> for which the 8877s are notorious.  (Occasionally Eimac
>> has had brain-flatulence issues with which to contend.)
>>
>> John  W0UN
>
>Everyone else in the world seems to share your and Dick's
>experience John.

/\  The excursion on the wide river in the Land of the Pharoahs
continues.

> The only place parasitics cause tube failures is in
>the mind of the fellow who sells kits that "fix the problem".

/\  Have you seen Figure 24 on my Web site?  Have you seen the photograph
of the gold-sputtered tube in "Parasitics Revisited" (September/October,
1990 *QST*?

>73, Tom W8JI
>W8JI@contesting.com

/\  A low VHF-Rp parasitic suppressor retrofit-kit never absolutely fixes
the problem.  It lowers VHF amplification in HF applications by c. 60%,
and it provides glitch protection just in case a parasite ever takes
place.  So far, we have sold more than 5k low VHF-Rp parasitic suppressor
retrofit kits.  I keep thinking the market will saturate but it hasn't
thanks to the AL-1500 and other somewhat less than stable HF amplifiers.

Cheers, Mr. Rauch

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end