Amps

[AMPS] SB-1000 mods?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-1000 mods?
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:25:17 -0700

>Wouldn't the 4CX5000 tend to have a larger filter capacitor, and thus
>a bit more energy to dump, or is peak current the real concern?

//  The "Plywood Box" amplifier has  >1000-joules of stored energy in the
filter C .  A SB-220 amplifier has c. 80-joules.   Initially, the PB had
an intermittent parasite problem c.68MHz.  Until I came up with a
lower-Rp parasitic suppressor, the
"big-bang" from a parasite was louder than the muzzle blast of a 12-gauge
shotgun.  Judging by the schrapnel I saw, part of the noise probably came
from the disintegration of the glitch resistor.  My guess is that a PCN80
surge resistor would have survived a major glitch in the PB.

>With Rich's example of the 10 ohm glitch R in the SB-220, and assuming some
>stray R in caps and chokes, you are still talking about a peak current
>pulse on the order of 180 amps!! Seems like an awful lot of current. What
>can the average plate choke withstand??

//  Apparently it's quite a bit,  The total ESR in an unmodified SB-220
anode supply is probably c. 6-ohms,  At 2800v, that's  c.400a-peak.
However, the current pulse is brief, so a 220's HV choke is seldom
brought to grief.
- The main reason for adding a glitch resistor is to reduce the
peak-energy available (during an intermittent parasite) to bend the hot
filament helix, and cause a filament to grid short,

cheers, Mike

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end