Amps

[AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:55:24 -0700

>Greetings,
>
>The latest IMD thread has been very educational and
>inspiring.  Thank you all!

//   There  was also a tad of technoblather.

>My questions are probably old ones but being new to
>the sport..... :-)
>
>Anyway I'm about to embark on my first linear project.
> Having never built an RF I decided I'd like to try a
>4x813 setup.  1: because the 813 almost requires a
>hammer to take it out of service, and 2: there's just
>something really sexy about the tube to me.  ( poor
>reason, I know )  I also have several of them and
>almost zero dollars invested in them. I've been
>looking through some of Mr Orr's earlier books and
>there are several examples of class B linears for SSB
>use

//  Class B G-G is hardly linear, but Class AB2 G-G is.

> but I'm wondering how these would fare by todays
>standards?

//   From what I've measured on the air, G-G 813s are at least as clean
as the best transceivers.

>How 'bad' would they be?  Even in a
>push-pull circuit?  With NFB ???

//  Push-pull is a 5-gallon bucket of worms.

>I intend to build a grid-driven setup with bias and
>screen supplies

//  If you go with grid driven, better wear disguises to ham conventions
and swap meets.  Name/Call badges are not a good idea either.
Grid-driven 813s are reliable splatter generators.

>... ...
cheers, Randall

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end