Amps

[Amps] Alpha 374A problems

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 374A problems
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:50:44 -0700

>Hi Folks
>
>I am working on my sons amp which blew up with a loud bang. What
>I have found so far is one tube with a grid to cathode short
>when filament voltage is applied.

**  grid/cathode shorts are typically caused by cathode flaking.  [
photos in Sept/Oct 1990 *QST* ]  This can result from inadequate warm-up,
more than 350mA continuous cathode-current, or an intermittent parasitic
oscillation.  I would test the tubes with a high-pot tester for the
presence of gas or evaporated gold.  Leakage should be under 5uA @ 5kV
positive and negative on the anode with the grid grounded.  More leakage
current with positive V on the anode means loose gold.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end