Amps

Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <garyschafer@comcast.net>,"Dan Sawyer" <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:14:16 -0800

>Isn't this all getting a little over-complicated?  If both tune and load
>controls are adjusted for maximum output at rated drive (~100 watts),

**  It takes c. 140w to drive a pair of 3-500Zs operating at 2800vdc.

> there should be no arcing and performance should be nominal.

**  A pair of 3-500Zs has 0.3pF of feedback C.  So, at 110MHz, XC is c.
5000-ohms between the output and the input of the tubes.  If one ignores
this feedback path, there should be absolutely, positively no
intermittent parasitic arcing.

>If you want, add a
>little loading (clockwise) past peak output for better IMD
>performance.  Once you're peaked, tape an index card behind the knobs and
>mark the settings for each band.

**  I use different colored Crayola's to show the settings for different
bands.

cheers, Pete